Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

21 Days of Prayer for Sons - A Servant's Heart (Day 7)

Confession: a few days ago I had a moment in the flesh and snapped, "what am I, your servant?" to one of my kids. It didn't take very long at all for God to deal with that. He whispered kindly in my ear, "Don't you see that you're not serving them? You're serving ME." Let's face it, mothering is the hidden ministry. We are pouring ourselves out into raising Godly children with little accolades, acknowledgement, or even thanks. The Lord sees all those moments or servanthood. He keeps count of the choices we make in the hidden place. He will reward us accordingly.
How do you model a "servant's heart" for your son? As moms we HAVE to resolve ourselves to servanthood at the birth of our children. They are helpless and need us to do everything for them - even push them into the world. As they grow into independence, however, we expect them to do more and more for themselves - it's what we're training them for. But, you and I know that there is still plenty of serving going on. The meals you shop for and prepare; the clothes you buy, wash, and fold; the wounds you mend; the precautions you take; the sleep you lose to help finish a school assignment. Count it all Christ.
Jesus, the King of Kings, humbled Himself for us. He illustrated it so beautifully on the evening of the last supper when He disrobed, draped a towel over His middle, and washed the feet of His disciples- wiping them with that same towel. As Brooke wrote in the leader's guide for this prayer challenge, "He didn't have to serve anyone. Neither do we. We don't have to serve others. But Jesus did. And He said that if we want to be first, we'll need to be last. He said that loving others, serving them, was serving Him--loving Him."
I want to encourage you to find ways of serving as a family to show the "how to" of having a servant's heart. Ask them if they have any ideas of ways to serve in the community. You could take meals to people in your church who need help, participate in a Walk for Life, serve as a family in a local food bank or soup kitchen, or maybe volunteer to clean bathrooms at church together. Find something that works for you and remember Jesus' words, "But he who is greatest among you shall be your servant. And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." (Matthew 23:11,12)
A Servant's Heart
May__________ be a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ (James 1:1) 
May__________follow Christ; and where He is, may__________be also. If anyone serves Christ, the Father will honor him (John 12:26)
May__________be like Moses, faithful in all God?s house as a servant (Hebrews 3:5) 
As the Lord's servant, may__________not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil (2 Timothy 2:24)
May__________not use his freedom to satisfy his sinful nature. Instead, may he use his freedom to serve others in love (Galatians 5:13)
May__________use his spiritual gifts to serve others, as good stewards of God's varied grace (1Peter 4:10)
May__________serve wholeheartedly, as if he were serving the Lord, not men (Ephesians 6:7) 
Let__________be grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and let him offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe (Hebrews 12:28) 
May__________be a servant, for the greatest among us shall be servants (Matthew 23:11) 
May__________fear the LORD his God and serve him only Deuteronomy 6:13)

2 comments:

  1. I just said that last week to my boys - but they are 10, 13, 16 (19 is moved out; 25 is married). I so agree that we need a servants heart; however, we need to ensure that our sons do not grow up to treat women like servants. I'm turning this over in my mind - your post has made me think about talking to my boys about the contrasts - to be a servant like Jesus suggested does not mean treating others like servants. I'm thinking...thinking....hhhmmmmm. You have so blessed me today:)
    http://bluecottonmemory.wordpress.com/2011/04/01/my-life-is-not-my-own/

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. That's like when I quote the "golden rule" to my 11-year-old. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" and he says, Well, I just treated them like they treated me - I guess they want me to do it. I guess the real thing to teach is for them to be like Jesus - a king, a servant - a priest, a sacrifice. (and have their dad model servanthood as well.)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! Please share your thoughts on the post and leave any advice or stories of your own!