Pages

Saturday, June 25, 2011

21 Days of Prayer for Sons - Self-Control (Day 17)

I have to apologize for posting this a day late. Yesterday was the last day of our VBS, it was exciting, rewarding, and absolutely BLESSING! It was also exhausting. Due to overwhelming drama in our life on Thursday, I didn't get to prepare for things on Friday morning. I stayed up till 3 in the morning getting things done I should have done in the afternoon. I spent Friday afternoon laying around and parenting from the couch. Not too pretty. When I went to bed, extremely early last night, I felt a twinge of guilt for not posting the Day 17 entry, but there was no way I could have stayed awake to write. I actually fell asleep praying for my sons last night.

This fruit of the Spirit has been in MUCH discussion in my family of late. In my mind, it's the fruit of ANTI-SELFISHNESS. I love this quote from Brooke in the Leader's Guide: "The choice to love Him more begins from the beginning... hearts made to worship Him...choose Him. Hearts that left to themselves will choose our own way every time. How many times have I chosen my own way when I knew the consequences? How many times have I forfeited the sweet, peaceful blessings of obedience in order to stamp my feet, cross my arms, dig in my stubborn three-year-old-like heels and have my own way?" We all struggle to put Jesus first in our lives, to make the choice to turn away from our own desires and set our eyes on Christ. That's why it's so important to grow and mature in the Spirit, to bring forth that fruit of self-control. That's why it's vital to pray over our sons to grow likewise; so that fruit can get them out of sticky situations. I was so moved to pray these 10 prayers over my boys. I hope that you are blessed likewise.


Self-Control
May__________know that he is God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in him (1 Corinthians 3:16)
May__________not let sin therefore reign in his mortal body, to make him obey its passions. May he not present his members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present himself to God as one who has been brought from death to life, and his members to God as instruments for righteousness (Romans 6:12-13)
May__________present his body as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is his spiritual worship. May he not be conformed to this world, but transformed by the renewal of his mind, that by testing he may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect (Romans 12:1-2)
May__________discipline his body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others he himself should be disqualified (1 Corinthians 9:27)
Whether__________eats or drinks, or whatever he does, may he do it all to the glory of God (Ephesians 5:15)
Let not__________heart envy sinners, but continue in the fear of the LORD all the day (Proverbs 23:17)
Remove far from__________falsehood and lying; give him neither poverty nor riches; feed him with the food that is needful for him (Proverbs 30:8) 
Let the words of__________mouth and the meditation of his heart be acceptable in your sight, O LORD, his rock and his redeemer (Psalm 19:14)
May__________have a tranquil heart that gives life to the flesh (Proverbs 14:30) 
May__________be wise in doing right and stay innocent of any wrong (Romans 16:19)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! Please share your thoughts on the post and leave any advice or stories of your own!