Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

21 Days of Prayer for Sons - Honor (Day 8)

In the Warrior Prayers Leader's Guide, Brooke McGlothlin writes, "I came across a book recently that perfectly illustrates the type of men I hope my sons will become. It might surprise you to know that it's written for girls. The book? The Princess and the Three Knights, by Karen Kingsbury. Look beyond the surface moms. Even you parents of older boys may want to purchase a copy of this book as a gift for your sons. Its presentation makes it a perfect fit for a girl. But its message is for girls and boys. The only knight good enough to win the heart of the princess was the one who would do anything to protect her. That's the kind of honor I'm praying for in my sons."
I have read that book, and it's beautiful and touching, perfectly giving the example of honor we are praying for today. However, I was excited to find on Karen Kingsbury's website another book of hers. Parents of boys urged her to write a book with the same values as The Princess and the Three Knights, but without all the pink and glitter and girly stuff. A book of honor for boys. It's called Brave Young Knight, and just came out last month. I included a short video about the book so you can see why I'm encouraging you to buy it for your sons.  The Brave Young Knight is a man who is not necessarily the strongest or smartest knight, but a man of integrity and faith - inspiring and encouraging. I'm not getting any money out of this endorsement, but I believe it would solidify the value of honor that you are soaking in prayer.

While my sons love to run around with capes on and swords outstretched, they don't always exhibit or understand the valor and honor that we think of in the knights of old. They're not sure why they "can't hit a girl" or why it's always "ladies first." It seems an obscure ideal in this day and age, but so sorely needed! Doesn't it still warm your heart when a man holds the door for you? My husband, Nick, used to unlock my car door first and open it for me before going around and getting in - we were dating and he was very chivalrous - no one else had done that for me, I felt so cherished.
How are you training your boys and young men in honor? Please share your ideas! I'm still hesitating when Rocky asks me why it's ladies first.



Honor
May__________know that both riches and honor come from God, and that He rules over all (1Chronicles 29:12)
May__________fear the Lord, and receive honor (Psalm 15:4) 
May the LORD bestows favor and honor upon__________. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly (Psalm 84:11)
Lord, be with__________in trouble; rescue him and honor him (Psalm 91:15) 
May__________honor the LORD with his wealth and with the firstfruits of all his produce (Proverbs 3:9)
May__________be wise and inherit honor (Proverbs 3:35) 
May__________honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor (1 Peter 2:17)
May__________honor his father and mother, for this is the first commandment with a promise (Ephesians 6:2)
May__________honor the face of an old man (Leviticus 19:32) 
May__________do good, and receive glory, honor and peace (Romans 2:10)

2 comments:

  1. I like your blog, I will subscribe to get more of your posts keep up the good work and please visit my blog sometime it would be much appreciated. thanks.
    Punkfootballer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - I will definitely look into this post! Since April, I have written 3 posts on boys and knightly behavior! Despite having a house full of boys - which I laughingly say I run a boys' home - my boys are amazing with girls. simply amazing!Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! Please share your thoughts on the post and leave any advice or stories of your own!