Pages

Saturday, June 20, 2009

My Personal Seven Flames


In Revelation 4 we get a peek at the throne room of Heaven. It's majestic and awesome, and according to verse 5, "seven lamps of fire were burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God." I was astounded and amazed, wondering about these seven Spirits. For years I've contemplated this and the question resurfaced when I was pregnant with #7, Sabina. Then, just a few months ago, Pastor Carlos was teaching a Word-heavy message (as usual- he's awesome) and read out Isaiah 11:2, "The Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon Him, The Spirit of Wisdom and understanding, The Spirit of counsel and might, The Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord." Say, what? 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7... That's it!

And what, exactly, are those seven flames - seven Spirits - doing burning constantly? Giving light? God is Light! I turn to 1 Peter 1:6,7 for the answer: "In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ." Those flames are testing, purifying us- burning away sin, doubt, ignorance! They also give light to US! They burn in our hearts so we can know and love and worship God! They give warmth and purity to us. Those 7 lamps are unceasingly lit in the Throne Room so we can find our way Home.

I am so blessed to have my own personal 7 flames. Antonio, Rocky, Cecelia, Keliah, Carlo, Luca, Sabina. They reveal the heart of God to me in ways that I wouldn't know without them, exposing my heart to the Seven Spirits of God. They test me to expose sin, doubt, and ignorance. Then they burn it away by their warmth, pure love, amazing wisdom and innocence.

Little ones, burn brightly, but slowly so that I am not consumed by this fire, but joyfully find my way Home.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post & beautiful children :)
    Huge, huge blessings!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! Please share your thoughts on the post and leave any advice or stories of your own!